top of page

Milena Suter

«Kineco» – Bus Stop

During my exchange semester in Korea i visited the course module Smart ID. In a predefined group of four people we were given the task to design a bus stop with smart technologies, based on the needs of the target group. 

Public transport in Korea is reliable and works well. However, the bus stop stations are rather outdated and have some weak points, such as the fact that everything can only be read in Korean and not being visible enough in the hustle and bustle of the streets. They often lack weather protection and seating for the elderly. The needs of people with physical disabilities are not taken into account. Due to the above mentioned problems, our project group was given the task to design a bus stop with smart technologies based on the needs of the target group.

Problem context

Proposed solution

The target group of this project is the general population. In order not to get lost in the different needs of the broad target group, they were first prioritised. The first priority was Weather protection, seating, visible and legible timetable, friendly for elderly or physically disabled people. The second priority was: heating system, litter bin, use of sustainable energy and materials. And the third: ticket vending machine and phone charger. Based on these needs, I created a first design of the bus stop.

As sustainability and innovation were key to this project, I decided to equip the bus stop with a kinetic floor and solar panels. However, in order for the chosen sustainable technologies to supply the bus stop with enough electricity, the location is crucial. Only when many people walk over the kinetic floor will the desired amount of electricity be generated for the bus stop. For this reason, the "Kineco" (kinetic + economical) bus stop I developed is located in Sincheon the busy district of Seoul. 

  • Market Analysis

  • Personas

  • Survey

  • Interviews

  • Service Safari

  • Customer Journey Map

  • Observation

  • Prototyping

Applied methods

This was by far the most challenging project I have been involved in. As there were two Koreans in the group who spoke very little English, language was one of the biggest difficulties. We tried to overcome the language barrier with various translation tools. In addition, the Koreans were not familiar with collaboration tools such as Google Docs. So before we could start working on the project, we had to discuss and decide as a group where and how we were going to collaborate on this project. 

Furthermore, I have never worked with 3D prototyping programs. So I had to acquire skills in the 3D programme SketchUP over a short period of time.  The 3D modelling was more difficult than originally expected, as even the smallest changes to the model required precise work and patience. 

My handicraft skills were also challenged in modelling and 3D lasering. Both were an educational experience and helped me to gain valuable know-how in areas I did not know before from my Master's degree.

Challenges + learnings

bottom of page